Monday, December 7, 2009

Bah Humbug

So here it is folks. No, I am not "ready" for the holidays. I have not decorated, shopped, planned, addressed cards, or even thought about doing any of the above. I am not excited, and I doubt I will be, except for some friends I will see who live far away, this entire holdiay thing just bugs me. And don't get in my face about it either. It's not that I don't like giving gifts, I just don't like being told what to do, when to do it and how to feel about it. Being forced to spend an entire month getting ready for this "holiday season", it is just too much.

I believe we should live every day giving gifts and being merry. Why limit it to just one day? It's like the people who only go to Temple or Church on the holy days, and the rest of the year ignore the whole "love your brother" thing, especially if he/she is Gay, The President or any number of other targets.

Whatever it is about the "holidays", I just don't get why it has to be forced into this single month. Why not celebrate all year long? Have dinner with friends, make cookies, exchange gifts, be kind. What a concept, living life every day like it was that "special" time of year.

So don't bother to ask me if I have the "holiday spirit", I'll go you one better, my spirit is here all year long. I am not being a "scrooge", I don't begrudge anyone else their "joy" during this time of year, just don't force it on me. I'm happy some days, not happy others, it has nothing to do with holidays, shopping, decorations or the date.

My joy comes from how I choose to live every day. My spirit is filled from my purpose and is itself a celebration. I think it is more miserly to limit this feeling to one time of year, spread peace & joy every day, not according to some date on the calendar.

No comments:

Post a Comment